3-3-03, what a great day to start a new advertising campaign! Especially if your message is centered on the number 3. This day was the official nationwide launch of the 3-A-Day of Dairy campaign. The simple message aimed at encouraging consumers to have 3 servings of dairy each day – milk, cheese or yogurt – started off with a bang and has continued to increase consumer demand across the country. So, what’s up with 3-A-Day these days? To find out, I visited www.3aday.org and was welcomed with an abundance of 3-A-day information!
The message is quite simple, 3-A-Day of Dairy is as easy as 1-2-3:
1. Look for the 3-A-Day logo on packages of milk, cheese and yogurt showing they are an excellent source of calcium.
2. Enjoy your favorite flavors of great-tasting milk, snackable cheeses or portable yogurt.
3. Take a “3 p.m. Break” every day. Use this time as a reminder to tally daily dairy servings. If falling short, it’s a good time to work in another one.
If you’re like me, you probably easily get your 3-A-Day…and some. It’s hard to believe that just 1-8 oz. glass of milk or 8 oz. container of yogurt is a serving! Most people don’t realize that getting their 3-A-Day of dairy is this simple. And the rewards are so great!! Stronger bones and healthier bodies are a direct result of the essential nutrients dairy provides.
Further surfing around the website revealed a variety of resources. Recipes & snacks, tips & tools, mom’s corner, dairy & your health – these are some of the different areas of the site where you can learn more. But again I’d like to emphasize that the purpose of this blog subject is not for just you to learn about these different promotional programs our check-off dollars support, but to then take this information and share it with those around you! For that, I have created my own 3-A-Day campaign…
Each day, or at least each week, accomplish the following:
1. Visit with your kids, grandkids or neighbor kids about the importance of dairy in their diets. Encourage them to share this info with their friends, classmates and teachers.
2. Eat three servings of dairy and tell someone about it. We can spread our message by being examples of healthy consumers ourselves.
3. Spice your 3-A-Day up a bit. Try new flavors or varieties of milk, cheese and yogurt. Keep it interesting!
If you have some fun ways you spread the message of 3-A-Day, let me know! I’d love to share them with our readers in the blog. Not to mention it’s a great way to get ideas rolling for activities to coordinate in your area for June is Dairy Month. Its just around the corner!
Interesting side note: As I write this blog message this morning, I am snacking on Quaker Oatmeal Squares with some nice, cool milk in my 3-A-Day of Dairy glass. I assure you, this was not planned! The irony made me smile and I just had to share 🙂